Departments and Institutes
I’m a computer science engineer interested in how complex brain networks change across different physiological and pathological conditions. During my PhD in neuroscience at the Pablo de Olavide University (Spain) I analysed cortical network disruption during Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer’s Disease. I am currently working at the Brain Mapping Unit at the University of Cambridge where my main goal is to determine how structural and functional brain connectivity evolves during adolescence. Combining different MRI modalities with cognitive performance data we hope to improve our knowledge of brain development during this critical stage.
- Vértes PE, Rittman T, Whitaker KJ, Romero-Garcia R, Váša F, Kitzbichler M, Fonagy P, Dolan RJ, Jones PB, Goodyer IM, the NSPN Consortium, Bullmore ET (2016). Gene transcription profiles associated with intra-modular and inter-modular hubs in human fMRI networks. Philosophical Transactions B. DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0362
- Whitaker KJ, Vértes PE, Romero-Garcia R, Váša F, Moutoussis M, Prabhu G, Weiskopf N, Callaghan MF, Wagstyl K, Rittman T, Tait R, Ooi C, Suckling J, Inkster B, Fonagy P, Dolan RJ, Jones PB, Goodyer IM, Bullmore ET (2016). Adolescence is associated with transcriptionally patterned consolidation of the hubs of the human brain connectome. PNAS, 113:9105-10.
- Romero-Garcia R, Atienza M, Cantero JL (2016). Different Scales of Cortical Organization are Selectively Targeted in the Progression to Alzheimer's Disease. International Journal of Neural Systems, 26:1650003.
- Hart MG, Ypma R, Romero-Garcia R, Price SJ, Suckling J (2016). Graph theory analysis of complex brain networks: new concepts in brain mapping applied to neurosurgery. Journal of Neurosurgery, 124:1665-78.
- Romero-Garcia R, Atienza M, Cantero JL (2013). Predictors of coupling between structural and functional cortical networks in normal aging. Human Brain Mapping, DOI:10.1002/hbm.22362.
- Romero-Garcia R, Atienza M, Clemmensen LH, Cantero JL (2012). Effects of network resolution on topological properties of human neocortex, Neuroimage, 59: 3522-3532.